The Annual Conference on Quantitative Approaches in Biology will be held November 16-17, 2018 at Northwestern University. The conference is a free two-day event that includes a range of activities to stimulate the cross-fertilization of ideas, including guest speaker talks, a seminar on collaboration in team-science, a round table discussion, networking opportunities, a poster session, an undergraduate research competition, and a reception.
November 16, Symposium & Keynote will be held at the McCormick Auditorium in the Norris University Center, Evanston, IL
November 17, Midwest Q-Bio Meeting will be held at the Abbott Auditorium in Pancoe Hall, Evanston, IL
Registration is FREE. You may register for one or both days. If you are attending both days, please register for both days. https://quantbiology2018.eventbrite.com
Boris Shraiman, PhD | Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics, UC Santa Barbara
Anindita (Oni) Basu, PhD | University of Chicago, Argonne National Laboratory
Rosemary Braun, PhD | Northwestern University
Margaret Gardel, PhD | University of Chicago
Bennett Goldberg, PhD | Northwestern University
Sascha Hilgenfeldt, PhD | University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Milo Lin, PhD | UT Southwestern Medical Center
Andrew Mugler, PhD | Purdue University
Arthur Prindle, PhD | Northwestern University
Tassos Pavlopoulos, PhD | Janelia Research Campus
We are soliciting submissions for 2-slide/2-minute lightning talks from principle investigators, post-docs, graduate and undergraduate students. These rapid-fire presentations are designed to briefly advertise research in the group, and present recent findings to the conference attendees. PIs wishing to use these talks to advertise open postdoc positions in their groups are also welcome to do so. These have been very well received in the past.
If you wish to participate, please submit an application by:
- Registering on the Eventbrite page and select the option to participate in a lightning talk.
- Then emailing your title and brief abstract to email@example.com by Wednesday, October 31, 2018.
- Please note that we may not be able to accept all applications to present a lightning talk.
There will be a poster session each day. We are encouraging all attendees to bring along posters for the poster sessions. You are welcome to present on both or either day. We will have poster boards available. It is our hope that this exhibit will help seed interesting conversations and facilitate interaction among attendees. We suggest a poster size no smaller than 18” x 24” and no larger than 36” x 48”.
If you wish to participate you must,
- Register on the Eventbrite page and select the option to present a poster.
- Then email your title and brief abstract to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, October 31, 2018.
- Please note that due to limited space, we will not have space for your poster unless you register and email your title and abstract by Wednesday, October 31, 2018.
Friday, November 16
Venue: McCormick Auditorium, Norris University Center, 1999 Campus Drive, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
|8:30 am||Registration & Breakfast|
|8:50 am – 9:00 am||Welcome|
|9:00 am – 10:00 am||Tassos Pavlopoulos, PhD
Janelia Research Campus
|10:15 am – 11:15am||Anindita (Oni) Basu, PhD
University of Chicago, Argonne National Laboratory
|11:30 am – 12:30 pm||Workshop: Collaboration & Interdisciplinarity Research
Bennett Goldberg, PhD
|12:30 pm – 1:30 pm||Working Lunch|
|1:30 pm – 2:15 pm||Poster Session featuring the Undergraduate Research in Quantitative Biology Poster Competition|
|2:15 pm – 2:30 pm||Group Photo|
|2:30 pm – 3:30 pm||Keynote: Boris Shraiman, PhD
Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics, UC Santa Barbara
|3:45 pm – 5:00 pm||Round-table Panel: Collaborating Across Disciplines|
|5:00 pm||Closing Remarks & Award Ceremony|
|5:15 pm – 6:30 pm||Reception & Networking|
|6:30 pm||Meet up|
Saturday, November 17
Venue: Abbott Auditorium, Pancoe Hall, 2200 Campus Drive, Evanston, IL
|8:30 am||Registration & Breakfast|
|8:50 – 9:00 am||Welcome|
|9:00 am – 9:45 am||Rosemary Braun, PhD
|9:45 am – 10:30 am||Sascha Hilgenfeldt, PhD
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
|10:45 am – 11:30 am||Andrew Mugler, PhD
|11:30 am – 12:15 pm||Milo Lin, PhD
UT Southwestern Medical Center
|12:15 pm – 2:00 pm||Lunch & Poster Session*|
|2:00 pm – 3:00 pm||Lightning Talks*|
|3:00 pm – 3:45 pm||Arthur Prindle, PhD
|4:00 pm – 4:45 pm||Margaret Gardel, PhD
University of Chicago
|5:00 pm||Closing Remarks|
|6:00 pm||Meet up|
What are the hotel options?
The demand for local accommodation is very high. We strongly encourage the participants to book their rooms as early as possible. The hotels closest to the venues are The Homestead Evanston and the Hilton Orrington.
- The Homestead Evanston 1625 Hinman Ave, Evanston, IL | 847-475-3300
- Holiday Inn Chicago North-Evanston 1501 Sherman Ave, Evanston, IL 60201 |
- Hilton Garden Inn Chicago North Shore/Evanston 1818 Maple Ave, Evanston, IL 60201 | 847-475-6400
- Hilton Orrington 1710 Orrington Ave, Evanston, IL | 847-866-8700
How do I get to the Evanston campus?
Visit this website to find driving directions and public transit options to campus.
What are taxi options from O’Hare and Midway Airports?
In addition to ride sharing services, such as Uber or Lyft, one of the following local taxi services can bring you to campus. Call these numbers at the arrival level after you have picked up your checked-in baggage.
- Norshore Cab 1-847-864-7500
- 303 Taxi 1-800-CALL-303
- American Taxi 1-847-272-8000
What are my transportation/parking options for getting to and from the event?
There is no free parking on campus. We recommended you use public transportation or walk from your hotel to campus. The venues are an easy five to ten minute walk from the recommended hotels.
- Should you need handicap parking please reach out to Tiffany Leighton Ozmina.
- Should you need to park on campus, please give yourself at least 10 minutes to walk from the parking garage to the venue, a map of the locations can be found here. Park in lot 211 on Friday and lot 105 on Saturday. Both locations are pay to park ~$9.00.
How can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Contact Tiffany Leighton Ozmina at NSF-Simons-QBio@northwestern.edu