The 3rd Annual Conference on Quantitative Approaches in Biology will be held November 20-21, 2020 at Northwestern University.
This conference is a two-day event that includes a range of activities to stimulate the cross-fertilization of ideas, including guest speaker talks, lightning talks, poster sessions, an undergraduate research competition, a dinner, and plenty of networking opportunities.
Speakers will be announced Spring 2020.
We are soliciting submissions for 2-slide/2-minute lightning talks from principal investigators, post-docs, graduate and undergraduate students. These rapid-fire presentations are designed to briefly advertise research in the group, and present recent findings to the conference attendees. PIs wishing to use these talks to advertise open postdoc positions in their groups are also welcome to do so. These have been very well received in the past.
If you wish to participate, please submit an application by:
- When you register select the option to participate in a lightning talk.
- Submit your talk title, list of authors and an abstract in the provided fields. Selected presenters will have the opportunity to provide updated information before the conference.
- Please note that we may not be able to accept all applications to present a lightning talk.
There will be a poster session each day. We are encouraging all attendees to bring along posters for the poster sessions. You are welcome to present on both or either day. We will have poster boards available. It is our hope that this exhibit will help seed interesting conversations and facilitate interaction among attendees. We suggest a poster size no smaller than, any combination of, 18” x 24” and no larger than 36” x 48”.
If you wish to participate you must,
- When you register select the option to present a poster.
- Submit your poster title, list of authors and a brief summary in the provided fields.
- Please note that due to limited space, we will not have space for your poster unless you register.
When will registration be open?
Registration will open in June 2020.
What is the registration fee?
The registration fee is estimated to be $100.00 per person and will cover both your Friday and Saturday attendance. Breakfast and lunch will be provided on both days.
Are there travel scholarships?
There are limited conference scholarships, to waive the cost of registration, available to undergraduates, graduate students and postdoctoral fellows who present either a poster or lightning talk. Also, if you choose to volunteer at the conference for at least two hours, your registration fee is waived. Contact Tiffany Leighton Ozmina at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about the conference scholarships and volunteer opportunity.
Where will the conference be held?
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL in the Norris University Center.
Northwestern University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all events and programs. Accommodations such as sign language interpreters, accessible seating, and presentation materials in alternate formats are provided upon request. Please contact Tiffany Leighton Ozmina at email@example.com or 847-491-5571 by September 15, 2020.* Every reasonable effort will be made to implement accommodations in an effective and timely manner.
*Reasonable efforts will be made to provide the requested accommodations after September 15th.
What are the hotel options?
The demand for local accommodation is very high. We strongly encourage the participants to book their rooms as early as possible. The hotels closest to the venues are The Homestead Evanston and the Hilton Orrington.
- Hilton Orrington 1710 Orrington Ave, Evanston, IL | 847-866-8700
- The Homestead Evanston 1625 Hinman Ave, Evanston, IL | 847-475-3300
- Holiday Inn Chicago North-Evanston 1501 Sherman Ave, Evanston, IL 60201 |
- Hilton Garden Inn Chicago North Shore/Evanston 1818 Maple Ave, Evanston, IL 60201 | 847-475-6400
How do I get to the Evanston campus?
Visit this website to find driving directions and public transit options to campus.
What are taxi options from O’Hare and Midway Airports?
In addition to ride-sharing services, such as Uber or Lyft, one of the following local taxi services can bring you to campus. Call these numbers at the arrival level after you have picked up your checked-in baggage.
- Norshore Cab 1-847-864-7500
- 303 Taxi 1-800-CALL-303
- American Taxi 1-847-272-8000
What are my transportation/parking options for getting to and from the event?
There is no free parking on campus. We recommended you use public transportation or walk from your hotel to campus. The venues are an easy five to ten-minute walk from the recommended hotels.
- Should you need handicap parking please reach out to Tiffany Leighton Ozmina.
- Should you need to park on campus, please give yourself at least 10 minutes to walk from the parking garage to the venue, a map of the locations can be found here. Park in lot 211 on Friday and lot 105 on Saturday. Both locations are pay to park ~$9.00.
How can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Contact Tiffany Leighton Ozmina at NSF-Simons-QBio@northwestern.edu